Search This Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Mauler

We continue to the Silicon Valley HS. My worst fears are confirmed. They seem to think I should have made an appointment. I love dogs, but looking at the paperwork it's like I'm adopting a kid. I take a look through the shelter it's small, and the selection is very poor. The only dog on my list still there is Danica a "King Charles". She doesn't look much like I'd expect her breed to, but I'm game. A quick inquiry reveals she is on hold. It seem appears you can have an appointment, and reserve a dog.  The shelter folks seem to think this is my fault despite none of this being apparent from their listings, and it being counter to standard procedures at the rest of the shelters in the area. But they are happy to let us meet her, and claim 2nd rights.  Assuming the people who have her on hold decide they don't want her.  She's ours??? Brenna also wants to "interview" a larger dog, but it's a barker and a good 30 pounds outside my size desires.

 I elect to just leave. As the last thing I need is to bond with another dog, and lose out again.  The next place is a 30 minute a drive, and I'm pretty sure we aren't getting a dog. We pull into the crowded lot, and get out of the car. A howl greets us, and continues to welcome us as we cross the lot to the San Mateo SPCA. I remark to my wife to be jokingly  "We are sooo getting that dog". (Not imagining how close I am to the truth.) The shelter is a large older building. It smells a bit, and the dogs are often 3 to a kennel.  My gut reaction is I don't like this initially don't like it. But the staff is friendly, and I warm to the place. The kennels are narrow, but long with an inside, and outside part. (In retrospect the crowding is due obviously do their desire not to put down adoptable dogs.) I look around no labs. The only dog left on my list is a bansiji who's behavior and the notes on the evaluator's sheet confirms she needs lots of exercise despite her age.

We find the howler. He is named Jack, and is kenneled with another dog. Jack spends the entire time we are there running back, and forth only stopping to howl. The paper work on his door indicates the other dog is Lucy.  Cute, and friendly Dalmatian/ Australian cattledog, but she is 10 years old. She's got a heart murmur. (I'd take her but I want a dog not a patient.) Another dog's paper work is there, but he isn't in evidence. I figure he is in one of those adoption rooms. We tell Jack he isn't doing himself good with the howling, and move on.

Everything else is small and shivery, requires more exercise then we can give, is a pitbull, is the size of a pony, or displays major behavioral issues. (Trust me at this point I'm not being picky.) We go to another section and find a lab at the end of the line all by himself. He is bouncy, and extremely happy to see us. By happy I mean he is sticking his nose through the bars, licking us, whining...  Just completely desperate for attention. We look for paperwork. None!! That is a bad sign maybe someone else is looking at him.

We go up to the front desk and ask the girls there. "Oh Max!" They pull out his paperwork, hand it to us, and carefully explain. He is off by himself because he mauls other dogs. Really badly too. I digest this. The back patio is well enclosed. We don't have a dog, and I can live without ever owning a cat. We don't have kids, and don't plan to in the near term. Heck I've watched enough "It's me or the dog" to understand the basics of socializing an aggressive dog. My response is "This may not be an issue as we don't have dogs, or kids. Can we meet him? I'd like to see if I think I can work with him." I'm already thinking of what sort of head harness I'll need.

They blink, not expecting this sort of reaction, and consult a bit. They can't allow us in with him without with out the behaviorist present, and he isn't in today. I can leave a number and talk to him during the week. I'm pretty down about this, but I leave my number and tell my girlfriend we should go. She tells me to sit down, because she wants take one more look. (She is determined to bring a dog home today rather than deal with the aftermath.) She is gone for quite some time. I just sit feel sorry for myself, and try to brace myself for what entirely unsuitable dog she'll bring back. (She is a former poverty lawyer among other things, doesn't give up easily, and has a soft spot for hard luck cases.) I'm preping myself to put my foot down.   I'll try again during my week off, look at the shelters down south and maybe come back about the mauler.

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoying your stories; can't wait to hear the rest. I'm gonna hazard a guess that Indy was the other dog in Jack and Lucy's cage... do I win?

    ReplyDelete